Site Meter

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Testing Limits

I wonder whether the PC police have retired now that Obama is President. I'm going to find out soon after posting this.

The Briar Patch Strategy

I am fascinated by the fact that Obama might not just be the US President who signs a bill guaranteeing universal health insurance, but that he has managed to get the health insurance industry to beg him for universality.

I suspect he justed wanted to avoid the scary word "mandate" promise voter/consumers only new options and nice things and a chance to free ride and stake out a position slightly to the right of John Edwards (remember him ?).

But I really really want to believe that he had it all planned. That in arguing against the mandate he is saying "Please please don't throw me in the briar patch."

OK so now we see if uncle Remus tar baby stories are PC now. Since I have about 3 readers I might have to wait a while until the PC police person shows up (and you know I have someone particular in mind).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know, I know, it never even occurs to a prominent economist that President Obama has ruled out even considering single-payer health care so reform will wind up an insurance company sham. I know.

Anonymous said...

http://www.democracynow.org/2009/3/11/dr_quentin_young_obama_confidante_and

March 11, 2009

Dr. Quentin Young, Longtime Obama Confidante and Physician to MLK, Criticizes Admin's Rejection of Single-Payer Healthcare

While the Obama administration claims “all options are on the table” for healthcare reform, it’s already rejected the solution favored by most Americans, including doctors: single-payer universal healthcare. We speak with Dr. Quentin Young, perhaps the most well-known single-payer advocate in America. He was the Rev. Martin Luther King’s doctor when he lived in Chicago and a longtime friend and ally of Barack Obama. But he was noticeably not invited to Obama’s White House healthcare summit last week.

Anonymous said...

Being in Europe and closer than I am, do you think Dick Cheney is still Vice President or has Joe Biden just been imitating Cheney?

I know, I know, this is the most liberal of all liberal Presidents, and appearances from foreign policy on are just deceiving.