Site Meter

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Confession Penance and Absolution for Bloggers

Jacob Weisberg confessed and his Shrillness himself has denied him absolution.

Confession

I deserved some of the abuse. Though I criticized Ryan for his unsupported rosy assumptions (shame on you, Heritage Foundation hacks), I reacted too quickly and didn’t sort out just how laughable Ryan’s long-term spending projections were.



No absolution.

Um, how can you lavish praise on a supposed long-term budget proposal without, you know, asking whether its long-run spending projections make sense? [skip]

Look, this is an important debate. If you can’t be bothered to look at the numbers, you shouldn’t weigh in.


Dog bites man, Krugman makes another enemy.

I think that Krugman requires at least an act of repentence. Damn I don't often wish I was raised Catholic but how does it go ?

I Jacob Weisberg convess that I blogged in hast, most bitterly repent my sin and swear, with Google's grace to in the future avoid both haste and the near occasion of haste.

But how the hell does one avoid the near occasion of haste when blogging ?

I Robert Waldmann confess that I have often with perseverance in my sin blogged in haste and wonder how I can avoid the near occasion of haste ?

OK Weisberg has a budget and can hire an editor for his blog (he can still edit the rest of Slate). A disenabler. He could hire some kid and give the kid his password and tell him to make a new password and not tell Weisberg what it is. Then Weisberg submits blog posts which can only be posted by his blog's editor. The deal is the editor is fired if and only if Weisberg has to apologise for hasty blogging again.

It would work but it is not allowed by this blog's budget ( $0 and 00 cents). But there must be some way.

I don't like to wake up in the morning. If I could only blog between 7:00 and 7:05 AM I wouldn't post without sleeping on it. The same works for early risers who have trouble keeping their eyes open till midnight. If blogspot only allows posts between 12:00 and 12:05 AM, the blogger would be struggling to stay awake and wondering "is this really so urgent or can it wait till tomorrow).

Less extreme measures might work a little. As in to post one must hit post twice and the second time after an hour. It would be necessary that no editing be allowed between these clicks on the publish button (else one could edit a post on the weather into hasty praise of Paul Ryan).

2 comments:

Ken Houghton said...

Iirc, Jacob Weisberg is the gentleman who has been snarky about Krugman for years. (The "send back our writers, but please keep PK" from ca. 2005.)

Give Krugman credit for making enemies, but Weisberg--again, iirc--did that work long ago.

Ken Houghton said...

Oops. Sorry. Cyrus Krohn. (See here.)