Site Meter

Friday, June 19, 2015

Paul's first letter to the blogospherians 13:13

The Priority of Clarity

.

Though I write with the tools of Lagrange and Bellman, and have not clarity,

I am blowing my own horn with a changing symbol.

And though I have the gift of forecasting, and understand all theorems, and all knowledge;

and though I have all math, so that I could prove existance, and have not clarity, I am nothing.

And though I bestow clever words to read with the proof, and though I give manuscripts to be printed,

and have not clarity, it profits men nothing.

.

The Qualities of clarity

.

Clarity suffers long facing facts; clarity fudges not; clarity vaunts not itself, is not puffed up,

Does not behave itself vaguely, seeks not her own, is not easily proven, keeps a record of errors;

Rejoices not in equivocations, but rejoices in the proof;

Bears all things, believes few things, hopes all things, endures their absense.

.

The Permanence of Math

.

Math never fails: but whether there be forecasts, they shall fail;

whether there be cites, they shall cease;

whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

For we know in part, and we forecast in part.

But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

When I was a student, I spoke as a student, I understood as a student, I thought as Lucas:

but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

For now we see in a class dimly; but then face to face: now I know in part;

but then shall I know even as also I am known.

And now abides math, proofs, clarity, these three; but the greatest of these is clarity.

according to the Robert James version

No comments: